Our client, a cutting-edge music and arts organisation, is opening an artistic incubator including studios and shared workspace and is seeking a Studio Director with proven experience of working with artists of different disciplines and with their communities.
The space is a 3 storey 10,000 sq ft workshop in De Beauvoir, incorporating production rooms, listening, and meeting rooms, as well as shared workspaces. The Studio Director is charged with bringing to life the space’s vision, elevating the experience of everyone (the organisation, artists, members, guests & the local community) and the successful management of all elements of the building as well as delivering on the business plan.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience managing both a team and a relevant creative space within the Arts and Entertainment industries. They must be able to demonstrate both artistic and cultural fluency, possess superb interpersonal skills but also demonstrate strong commercial acumen.
Key Responsibilities of the role will include:
Artistic & Cultural Management
• Creating a thriving environment in which each member can make their best possible work.
• Supporting members, artists, and visitors to get the most out of the space.
• Creating the requisite balance in the environment so that members can enjoy both the solitude & socialising needed to make great work.
• Bringing cultural value to the space, via experience and networking within the arts to make sure it’s full of people who will thrive in the space.
• Initiating and managing events and collaboration between members and with the local community; schools, colleges, charities and neighbouring businesses.
• Taking responsibility for the realisation of the organisation’s vision and ensuring it functions as a self-sustaining business.
• Managing building costs and expenses, working with the finance team to generate monthly reports for stakeholders.
• Handling memberships, member onboarding, on-going service and relations.
• Proactively hiring and leading the building’s team alongside growth.
Facilities & Building Management, supported by the FOH
• Ensuring the space runs responsibly, seamlessly, and efficiently.
• Overseeing facility and service provider contracts and relationships.
• Conducting and documenting regular facilities inspections and maintenance.
• Taking responsibility for all compliance, hardware, and systems
• Ensuring security and emergency procedures are up to date, tested and implemented properly.
• Providing ad hoc reception cover (absence).
Please note that due to the volume of submissions, only successful candidates who meet the exact requirements will be contacted. If you have not heard back within 10 days of submission, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
The Music Market/Arts and Media are an equal opportunities employer who supports diversity in the workplace.
An amazing recruitment company, they care about you as an individual rather than just being a number on their books!
I've had amazing placements where I've met great people, which has also given me the experience I have needed to secure my new role in the music industry!
Jenny is the best recruiter I've ever had, we've built a great working relationship and it has been brilliant to have been represented by The Music Market / Arts and Media.
Helen and her team at The Music Market have been nothing short of fantastic at helping me develop my continued career in music.
After graduating in 2012 they found me my first industry position at a top London bookings agency and most recently placed me in a great role at a leading international label and music brand.
I have always felt safe in their capable hands as a result of their professionalism and dedication.
I have always had a fantastic experience with The Music Market / Arts and Media – all the staff are great, helpful and knowledgeable.
Jenny has found me a number of wonderful full-time and temporary roles over the years and I can’t recommend the company highly enough.
Helen and the team at The Music Market were a joy to work with and helped me in securing my next career move within a short amount of time.
I would highly recommend Helen to anyone looking to further their career in the music or media industries.
I was so impressed with Helen and the rest of The Music Market team – they understood exactly what I was looking for in my next role and worked incredibly quickly to help me find the perfect position. The communication was fantastic throughout and I really cannot thank them enough!